Surya means Sun and Sun is associated with heat. Likewise, Surya Mudra is also related to the heating element of the human body. Surya Mudra is one of the amazing mudras of our Indian culture. These are helpful in curing in one or other parts of the human body. Surya Mudra is also an effective mudra among all other mudras we have. Surya Mudra is commonly done during yoga. It helps in increasing the fire element related to hunger, sleep, and thirst in our body and thereby reduces the earth element related to skin and flesh problems. By increasing the fire element in our body we are able to channelize our inner body strength which is required to cure your internal body process. With the regular use of Surya Mudra, one could easily maintain his health.
Surya Mudra Steps
- Step 1: The first step to do this mudra is by making yourself comfortable. For this, you have to sit in a comfortable position. It is advisable to use a yoga mat while doing the Surya Mudra as it supports our posture in a better way than the floor does.
- Step 2: The next step in Surya Mudra is that you have to take your hands in front of you and make your fingers and thumbs feel relaxed.
- Step 3: After that, you have to bend your ring finger in such a way that it is positioned and lie comfortably on the base of your thumb.
- Step 4: The next step is that you have to put a little pressure on the ring finger with the help of your thumb on the top of it.
- Step 5: You have to make sure that other fingers are relaxed and straight out while doing the mudra.
These are the simple steps for doing the Surya Mudra which could be done every 10-15 minutes daily to improve your health.
Also Read: Prana Mudra
Surya Mudra Benefits
There are various benefits provided by Surya Mudra. We know that it triggers the fire element of the human body which is one of the five elements that affects our body. It helps in increasing the metabolism in our body by working on the fire element. It is helpful for not only our body but also for our mind as it helps in reducing our mental stress. So it has immense benefits for health, some of them will be discussed below;
Surya Mudra for Liver
The liver is an essential part of our human body. We know that the liver helps in digestion of the food particles and also emits out toxic substances from the body. For proper digestion and excretion process, it is important for the liver to function properly. To keep it in the good health it is important to do Surya Murda as we know it affects our fire element which is associated with our hunger and thus indirectly helps in curing and maintaining the health of our liver.
Surya Mudra for Weight Loss
Surya Mudra is directly related to the weight loss of the human body as it helps in metabolizing the fire element and reduces the earth element of the body. It controls our hunger and sleep which are two main causes directly related to weight problems. This Surya Mudra helps in controlling these two in an effective manner. It de-toxifies any waste material of our body and helps in maintaining the metabolism level. This mudra helps in controlling the cholesterol amount as well which is therefore helpful in lowering down the body fat. By performing Surya Mudra we could efficiently reduce our weight.
Surya Mudra for Eyes
We know that Surya Mudra is related to the fire or Agni element of the body. Agni is also known as a vision which is related to our eyes. These days all the important works are related to computers but their continuous use could rob our eyes so Surya mudra helps in maintaining the health of our eyes. Surya Mudra is helpful in curing the vision problems and you don’t need to take any medicines as well. It is thus very effective in sustaining our vision.
Surya Mudra for Thyroid
We know that the problem of the thyroid is very common these days. The thyroid is a gland in our neck which works in releasing hormones. It helps in maintaining the metabolism in the human body. With the help of yoga, almost any disease could be cured. Surya Mudra is effectively used to cure thyroid diseases as is it simple to perform yet gives us amazing results. Surya Mudra is helpful in reducing the space element of the body which regulates the hormonal imbalances and helps in curing the Thyroid disease.
Surya Mudra for Diabetes
Diabetes is a problem related to blood sugar levels of the human body. There may be a decrease and increase in sugar levels of the body which in both ways deteriorate our health. Surya Mudra is helpful in curing this disease. By simply performing this mudra daily anyone could get relief from this dreadful disease. Surya Mudra helps in maintaining cholesterol level in the required amount by affecting the inner heat and energy of the body which could be the cause of this disease.
Side Effects of Surya Mudra
- As we are well known by now of the fact that Surya Mudra increases the heating element of our body so in case you are suffering from fever then you should avoid doing this mudra because it will increase your body temperature.
- This mudra helps in weight loss but if you are already underweight then it could adversely affect your health as it reduces more fat from the body.
- If you are doing this during summer time then make sure there is proper ventilation where you are performing this mudra as it could heat up your body.
- If you are suffering from any kind of injuries related to your hands then this mudra could make it worse so it is better to avoid it doing for some time.
All in all Surya Mudra works effectively if we take care of the few points while performing this mudra.