The hangover corresponds to the appearance of symptoms after excessive alcohol consumption. According to scientists, it occurs after consuming a dose higher than 1.5 g alcohol/kg. So now let us first understand hangover, its causes and symptoms.
Hangover: Symptoms and Causes
Symptoms of the hangover generally start to occur when the drinker’s blood alcohol drops considerably. Mostly, in the morning after a night of excessive alcohol consumption, and may include:
- Bloodshot eyes
- Photophobia (sensitivity to light)
- Sensitivity to loud sounds
- Accelerated heartbeat
- Problems in focusing or concentrating
- Trembling or shakiness, etc.
If anyone has the following more severe symptoms, they may have case of alcohol poisoning, this is a medical emergency and need to visit doctor as soon as possible.
- Hypothermia – body temperature drops
- Vomiting continues and does not abate.
- Breathing loses its regular rhythm
- Breathing slows down to less than eight inhalations per minute
- Confusion or stupor. The patient is in a daze
- The skin becomes pale, or takes on a blue tinge
A hangover is a consequence of having consumed too much alcohol – an accumulation of several factors:
- Urination: Alcohol causes your body to produce more urine. And urinating more than usual lead to dehydration that mostly indicated by thirst, dizziness and lightheadedness.
- Immune system response:Alcohol triggers an inflammatory response from your immune system. Your immune system may trigger certain agents that commonly produce physical symptoms, such as an inability to concentrate, memory problems, decreased appetite and loss of interest in usual activities.
- Dilation of blood vessels: Alcohol consumption can cause the blood vessels to dilate, which can cause headaches.
- Sleep quality:Alcohol can make you sleepy, but your quality of sleep will decrease. This may leave you groggy and tired.
Fortunately, there are many effective natural hangover remedies that will help you to reduce all of the above mentioned hangover symptoms. Read on to discover the best ones for you.
You’ve probably already noticed alcohol has a strong diuretic property that dehydrates the body. So the day after a drunken night out, drink plenty of water to compensate. As a vital component of the body, water effectively combats dehydration caused by alcohol. So drink more and more water as you can.
Lemon is also very effective remedy against the hangover thanks to its antioxidant properties. Lemon can stabilize blood sugar and regulate pH levels, while detoxifying your body from alcohol. Squeeze the juice of a lemon and dilute it in a glass of water. Sip it slowly, until you start feeling better.
Honey contains fructose, which helps metabolize alcohol more easily. It also contains potassium that helps counter the effects of alcohol in your body. Start eating 2 to 5 spoon of honey after every 30 minutes until you start feeling better. You can eat honey with banana & lemon as well.
Ginger is a plant originating in Asia. Ginger has been used for centuries to treat nausea and sickness. Be careful not to consume it on an empty stomach, in that case it can be irritating. The easiest way to relieve hangover nausea is to prepare a ginger tea, by boiling some slices of fresh ginger in 3 to 4 cups of water for about 10 minutes. Try now it works great!
Excessive intake alcohol can exhaust your body of potassium and magnesium, which need to be replenished, in order to provide quick relief from hangover. Bananas are full of sugar, potassium, magnesium and vitamin B6. The potassium helps relieve aches and pains throughout your body and magnesium helps relax and dilate your blood vessels and beats that pounding headache. Eat bananas with honey to help relieve the symptoms of a hangover.
Coconut water is the water inside a young coconut. As the coconut grows, the water contains gets mostly absorbed into the meat of the coconut. It contains about the same amount of potassium as a banana and more electrolytes than most of sports drinks, and it is also great at wash out the toxins from the body. According to Fatin Mustafa, author of 40 hangover cures, coconut water is the best way to get rid of hangover. Drinking 2 to 3 glasses of coconut water helps to beat hangover and get rid of the toxins from the body.
Last but easiest & most important if you have time and you can manage to get back to sleep, you will definitely recover a little bit faster. Make sure when you go to sleep you have a bottle or a jug of water next to your bed.
Hopefully these remedies will help you get through your hangover and get better as quickly as possible and for next time try to avoid excessive quantity of alcohol. If you have any other tricks to suggest, you can share in the comment section below.